Who knew that “air” – cool air, warm air, clean air – could be so glamorous! Empress Avenue chats with Hana Kram, National Marketing Coordinator from Trane Canada, a world leader in air conditioning systems, about her thriving career, fashion and travel hot spots! Read more – you won’t be disappointed!
1. Tell us about yourself, your career or business. – I work in the very sexy industry of climate solutions, where we joke that “if you aren’t talking about us, we are doing our job!” Making people comfortable in their environments: work, home or school (to name a few) is what we strive to do. Trane is an international leader in the HVAC world and I absolutely love working as the National Marketing Coordinator for such a forward thinking organization.
2. Describe your most recent business success and tell us about your next big goal! – As the new National Marketing Coordinator, recently I have been engaging with national media where we previously had no presence. Now, we have three articles coming out in the next issue of Mechanical Business, Canada’s leading trade publication. My ongoing goal is to ensure that all our offices in Canada align their efforts and work together as “one Trane.”
3. Give us the ‘inside scoop’ – what does a day in your business life look like?- My iPhone is my alarm clock, so as soon as it goes off, I am checking my email and responding (including evenings and weekends!). We have a lot of offices on the east coast, so my inbox is usually full by the time I wake up! I am a terrible morning person, so I am consistently about 15 minutes late into the office. The day is always different … usually a few meetings, a conference call, and putting out fires. As with everyone else, the email never stops and I try to get back to people as soon as possible. Reliability leads to trust, and trust is one of the most important factors in any successful relationship.
4. What types of customers are in your business ‘pink book’ and who are you looking to connect with?- I have all sorts of people in my contact list! One of my favorite things to do is build relationships with people…and maintain them. One of my most frequently used phrases is: “Do you need someone? I have a contact for that.”
5. If you were not doing this job, what is your plan B? Are you still chasing your dream job?- Trane Canada is my dream job. I am consistently amazed by how much I love what I do!
6. Do you think it’s important to love what you do, or make good money?- Love what you do, hands down. I am a strong believer in “if you love what you do, you will never work another day in your life.” I actually enjoy coming back to work after a vacation.
7. Is owning your own business as glamorous as it sounds? – I don’t think it sounds glamorous at all! I know it is a lot of hard work and I have a lot of respect for people who are able to build their own successful business and have a functioning life outside of work.
8. Where did you get your education? – I actually just went back to school to finish my degree after an 8 year break! I am definitely older than the other people in the program, which was made comically obvious when another student told me he graduated from elementary school the same year I finished my diploma at Kwantlen Polytechnic University.
9. What celebrity do you look at for style inspiration?- I don’t really look to anyone for fashion inspiration … but I think it is important to dress your age and your clothing style should mature as you do.
10. What are your favourite stores to shop at for the perfect work wardrobe?- I wear a lot of Banana Republic. Dressing nice for work is important; it shows you take yourself and your career seriously.
11. What is your favourite travel hot spot?- Anywhere hot with a pool and a margarita I’m there!
12. Can you offer any advice for new graduates looking for a job or new entrepreneurs?- Shop around and don’t be afraid to work your way up. No one ever starts at the top.
Contact Hana Kram from Trane Canada
Corporate Headquarters (location): We don’t have a Canadian “head office” but most of the leadership team is based out of Vancouver, BC.
Email address: email@example.com